Friday, November 9, 2012

Learn to be in the present moment from…a puppy.



Two weeks ago I guided a nice one week meditation retreat program. One of the highlights was a visit to a beautiful mountain temple (without tourists) about 45 minutes from where we live.

On our way we passed small Thai villages. Here you taste and feel real living without any stress. Half way we saw a huge white Buddha statue near another temple. Time to stop to take some pictures. 

When I got out of the car, out of nowhere, a happy and playful six-week old puppy from the temple came to me. Immediately I felt a connection and attracted to it. But what am I supposed to be doing with a temple-dog? Am I mad? Just leave it where it belongs, my first inner comment was.

After given some attention to the puppy and took some time to take pictures, we went back to the car again and left to our destination in the mountains. We organized a meeting for a monkchat and to practice several forms of meditation. A great opportunity and experience.

Strange enough the puppy was still coming up in my mind. Although not attracted and witnessing about this thought (but only watching as we learn during meditation) I could not get rid of the picture in my mind of the small dog. 
On our way back home I asked the driver to stop one more time at the place of the big white Buddha statue. I just had the idea that if the animal came to me again, it was mend to be for me/our family. Not a single puppy in sight! “Equanimity” they call it here. “Accept what is without resistance”.

I just wanted to go back into the car to leave, when six children came to me with the dog in there arms. Kadhow, they said. Does this mean present? No, that’s his name. They had a talk with a monk from that temple and they decided that I should have the dog but with the promise to take care of him in the best of ways.

To get a dog this way is an experience but then also you have all the responsibilities. Hmmm…?

We have ‘our’ puppy for about two weeks now. He seems to be a kind of Buddhist teacher. We found out he has a lot of wisdom. We think that we and also other people can learn a lot from him.

First lesson: Only be in the present moment.

The past is history, the future mystery, the present moment a present.
A puppy always is happy. Wants to play and (without judging) explore the things he or she is about to experience and learn in just that specific moment. A puppy is always only in the present moment.

Thinking about the past? What is past? Care/prepare about or for the future? Useless!

Equanimity. Always in balance, accept what is and the way it is. Don’t fight with yourself.

Mad to have a temple-puppy? Maybe not. To be continued.


Frans Captijn
Host / Catalyst / Talenteer at Captijn Insight

Captijn Insight“Catalyst in your process to new sustainable flow. Whether you are an individual, couple, team or an organization.” 
captijninsight@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment