Friday, April 19, 2019

Doing business with God and why the Buddha has his eyes open.

God would still get a headache I thought a while ago meditating. All those people who knock on his door with their problems, wishes and desires and beg for help and strength because they often no longer see a way out in the problems and the suffering they are facing. All those questions from all over the world and indeed sometimes a thank you. I do not know if there is balance in that. That's why I think of headaches.
The story of a monk during a teaching at the Buddhist University reappeared in my head. Why wouldn’t I share it?

In need you learn to pray is sometimes said. During that lesson it came to the difference in prayer to God and Buddha. The monk shared a nice story with the group that appealed to me very much.

You must know that Buddhism, unlike often said, is not a religion. As a basis there is no God in it. The Buddha is a very distinguished teacher, a former prince, and his father and mother are King and Queen. He was not the first monk at all. He was born 543 years before Christ. There where Christ is also a very important teacher but is seen as the son of God.

It appeared, the group consisted mainly of people who had ever been baptized. The subject, especially because I am also quite active in the church here in Thailand, seemed interesting to me. After all, good to know and respect different perspectives. It makes the world more colorful as far as I am concerned.

He started to ask us if we knew why a Buddha in the temple always has his eyes open. Well then at that moment nobody knew the correct answer.
He continued: "If you go to church and talk to your God there, then you are usually dealing with that God. In the trend of "Help me with this", "Please give me that" and so on. And often there is also a sentence "If you help me with this or that then I will do … in return." It looks like doing a kind of business with your God."

Here in Thailand it is quite normal for students to visit a temple before they do an exam. It seems just like going to church as to pray and in a way this is true. The approach and the way is different, he said.
"If the student would ask the Buddha: Buddha help me to pass my exam by giving the right answers, then the Buddha looks straight at him or her. And that is why he has his eyes open. It shows that he is at peace and in balance, but is well aware of what’s happening in the world around him and therefore also that student on its knees before him.
He stares the boy or the girl in his or her eyes and tries to say penetratingly: What are you doing here? Go home and study! I cannot help you with this. It is in your own hands. "

Indeed, the way of praying in Buddhism seems different to me, a way of worship that appeals to me. It is more of a conversation with the wise teacher to gain insight in peace, to find balance, to get rest and inner wisdom to be able to tackle and resolve the issues as much as possible by yourself. Other than sometimes sharing a lament or nagging for help. Something that by the way absolutely does not have to be the way of praying to a God because, for example, it is often also about getting the power to solve your own difficulties.

Ah, why would God also get a headache? Maybe as God you may not get that at all. Praying as a conversation to gain insight and wisdom from which you yourself can continue. A nice lesson. I think it is easier for the Buddha with less chance of that headache.

Gangey Gruma (Frans Captijn)

Captijn InsightCatalyst in developing tranquility & in-sight to get in a sustainable way real connection, purpose, pleasure and flow in life, love, family, business, career and work again.


No comments:

Post a Comment