Friday, February 5, 2021

Determine your last personal CO2 emissions in time. In the ground, out of the chimney or dissolve?

Last Sunday our village crematorium had a busy day. As many as three people from our village were cremated. I was present at one of those cremations.
 
In Thailand, saying farewell to someone after this life (actually cleaning up your packaging) is enclosed in an enormous number of rituals. It is all so different from Western culture and it is nice to be able to experience the differences without expressing any judgment about them.
 
An article that I recently read somewhere flashed through my mind. It was about your last personal CO2 emissions. I had to laugh about it (again). Apparently, this differs quite a bit from the choice you make to ultimately have yourself buried, cremated or dissolved (‘resomation’ with a new nice word).
 
Cremation is the most polluting form of saying goodbye to earthly existence, according to a study by TNO (Netherlands Organization for Applied Scientific Research) from 2014 into the environmental effects of burial or cremation. According to this institute, an average cremation, at least in the Netherlands, means a CO2 emission of 208 kilograms, which is equivalent to a car journey from Amsterdam to Prague (compared to 95 kilograms for burial and only 28 kilograms for dissolving). One hundred kilograms of this can be attributed to combustion of the body and the coffin with natural gas. The remainder is spent on the transport of the coffin from the funeral home to the crematorium, and on the production of the urn.
Yes, you can make a study about everything 😉.
 
Despite this investigation, mu choice still is to go for cremation and not be locked up in any urn. It will be selfish not to take this into account. After all, if the entire current world population of more than 7,800,000,000 people would do that, then a lot of affecting CO2 would enter the worldwide environment.
 
My preference before was always burying, but when I see how often I have visited the graves of my two grandpas and grandmas to find a "place to connect" of comfort… not bitterly often. I guess I'm not alone. After a few generations, the visit is over and maintenance and costs nobody remember anymore continues. And solving the CO2 problem, even though it would be better for the environment, is not part of my thoughts at all.

No, people who love me (and who I love) just always keep a place very close in their (or me in my) heart. And candles to connect, my experience, create miracles.


Gangey Gruma (Frans Captijn)


Captijn InsightCatalyst in developing tranquility & in-sight to get in a sustainable way real connection, purpose, pleasure and flow in life, love, family, business, career and work again.


No comments:

Post a Comment