Friday, August 11, 2017

What do you want to be when you've grown up? What a strange question.

What do you want to become? A question that often cause parents, and for sure children / adolescents a lot of thinking and possibly even suffering.

Looking deeper in relation to this question you can find it often puts a form of pressure on the development of your uniqueness. Often you do not know at all what you want to become, and if you know, there are only a few children who follow that path the rest of their live.

When I take myself as an example, I never had a pronounced opinion for the hospitality branch, as a truck driver, in men's fashion, as an architect / constructional engineer, as an officer in the fire brigade and emergency services, and as a master in crisis and disaster management. And yet… I did it all and still use only some tiny little parts of it. I've got lots of degrees and certificates on my pocket and I am now in the world of personal development and transition processes and talent coaching in and for people and organizations. Surprisingly, sometimes I say that it still has a lot to do with crises and disaster management but in peoples personal lives.

Once my main interest was in photography and in animals. And yes, that's still a bit of hobby but has never become something in the direction of a career. Although, with photography as a 16-year-old boy, I still earned a lot of money by making pictures of traffic accidents I heard off, listening to the scanner / of the Haarlem (my birth place and place I grew up in The Netherlands) control room of the police, in my bed/study room.
Actually, thanks to my parents who offered me the opportunities, my life consisted of things that attracted and attract me and in which I can live freely my creativity.
At the moment, I call it the Street University of learning by doing. A fantastic experience of soul engagement, living my mission, my calling, and to make myself and other people and organizations happy and believe it or not… it also helps me, earning money with it, to keep myself so far in finest health.

What a weird question actually; "What do you want to be when you've grown up?" I basically followed mathematics and science because I felt more attracted by them. During all kind of testing and during following studies I was told to take time to think careful about my future directions because there was no way back. Step by step I should come closer to that goal and leave behind all kind of other possibilities and career chances.

What I discovered during time... This is all nonsense! Follow your calling and your mission and isn’t it very normal that you do not know that calling or mission when you are in your teenage years. In fact, dealing with this question of what you should be later on in society for many young people create big limitations and even anxiety to fail. The idea that you close doors behind yourself because you might not be able to do what you might want to do in and out of your heart when you grow older.

The first answer that may be given from childhood is that you want to become nothing at all but want to stay your unique self forever. As if you're not good enough.
Do not focus too much on a goal that's 10 or 15 years or maybe even more away. Do something you really like and discover during walking your life path what's your purpose in life (always live life first). Nice on and in a playful way. Get rid of the idea that you close doors behind you with any choice. After all, isn’t it first and for all not first all about YOUR happiness and YOUR pleasure to do (or not to do) with your uniqueness what YOU want?

If you live your uniqueness and go on living that uniqueness, to be and stay yourself and thus not to accept the (soft) pressure of the outside world, the system, parents or anything else, you will experience that it brings you enough money to live a life that suits you.


Follow YOUR uniqueness, be and stay yourself (everybody else is already taken). Only that brings you and the world around you the most happiness.


Frans Captijn
Host / Catalyst / Talenteer at Captijn Insight

Captijn Insight
“Catalyst in your process to new sustainable flow in life and work. Whether you are an individual, couple, team or an organization.” 




No comments:

Post a Comment