Friday, December 13, 2019

Mindfulness is selfish?

A short while before I got my burn-out in 2010 I was already practicing meditation and mindfulness. So far is it part of my current lifestyle. I have often written about my enormous lifestyle change. For me it is much more a move along with nature and the rhythm, often the cycle, that you encounter in it. Certainly, many times it gives a delay and you have to get used to it. The culture here in Thailand helps a bit, although I can still get a bit rebellious for all that great at ease. Anyway, just to be honest, stress for me now is something that I can only vaguely remember from the past. And with more attention, or perhaps I should say less distraction, doing things is much more satisfying and delivers higher productivity than all the former multitasking that I once did.

A few weeks ago, reading an article, the writer mentioned mindfulness actually is a very selfish activity. And when I thought about that, I didn't think that was such a strange statement at all. It's just a little too short for me. Not finished yet.

With mindfulness you try to do things in such a way that you are completely present. No skipping steps (much fewer mistakes too) and following the natural process of things and situations. It brings you closer to your own being. And with regard to meditation, the training of your mind, it is indeed all about you. For me, among other things, it makes me feel better as an individual. But to call it selfish?

During my meditation, yoga and Buddhist philosophy classes I regularly mentioned all kinds of topics. Guests also asked about all kind of life themes and backgrounds. In my blogs I often wrote about those matters.
I remember the fright that often appeared on the faces of participants when I stated that you first have to take good care of yourself and that it is not selfish. I do not mean the material matter but the healthy mind in a healthy body. Your holistic health balance (mental, physical, emotional, spiritual and causal (the contact with your environment with energy givers and energy drainers)) must be in order. And that requires attention and time. Indeed, for yourself.

Isn't that selfish, as stated in that article? Not so. The story is not finished yet.

In my lessons I always added: If you don't take good care of yourself in the first place to be in optimal condition, how can you optimally be there for other persons and the world around? And I think that completes the circle again. Yes, you start working on yourself to finally share the best of yourself with the world around you out of that firm balance. And that is a growth in relationships and a taking steps in helping each other to act together stronger than individually. Giving the best of yourself in it.

Not so selfish in my opinion.

Gangey Gruma (Frans Captijn)
email: captijninsight@gmail.com 


Captijn InsightCatalyst in developing tranquility & in-sight to get in a sustainable way real connection, purpose, pleasure and flow in life, love, family, business, career and work again.

No comments:

Post a Comment