Friday, September 25, 2020

Titles often get in the way of relationships with others

In a reflection of a story, someone from America shared this quote a couple of weeks ago. It made me think and for me it is true.

Indeed, I also was happy and proud getting (some call it earning) titles in front of and after my name. Actually, they are/were work/job/business related. In my ‘home’ country, The Netherlands, we are a bit familial, quickly we call people by their first name.

I remember one of my first visits to Germany where a lady in a vegetable store was named “Frau Doktor” (Lady doctor). I thought by myself… what is this? Respect is a good thing but aren't there boarders? This lady, just like me, was only shopping. Why to call her Frau Doktor in the vegetable shop in her free time?

I also see it on business cards. People create the nicest titles to present themselves. Last week I got a business card from a person in Europe who presented himself as ‘President’ of his company. Checking that company, he was the only employee of it. It made me think but this nice show often works in the world.

With a title you, wanted or unwanted, show your ‘status’. Calling yourself president of your sole proprietorship for sure is a wanted one to show yourself important. Actually something to laugh about. Being a professor and being called professor (during work) is just a normal work-related thing. And even in a work relation titles create distance many times. 

Out of my own experience I also can say they attract people. For them it is nice to share with their environment they are part of your ‘network’. You never know it can bring them higher up. They ‘like’ you because of your title(s) and/or position but not because of the person you really and truly are.

I am member of an Expats Club here in Thailand. Most of the many members are retired and started to live here in Thailand to enjoy the last part of their life. Several members still want to be called for instance Dr.. I once asked a member who I also sometimes meet in another club about the background he still wants to be called by his title because for me it creates distance. Big eyes of him watching me...

In real, true and strong relationship with others, it is not about titles or position but about the connection between people who they truly and really are. That creates proximity and lasting connection.  


Gangey Gruma (Frans Captijn)



Captijn InsightCatalyst in developing tranquility & in-sight to get in a sustainable way real connection, purpose, pleasure and flow in life, love, family, business, career and work again.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment