Friday, April 7, 2017

White-picket fence – a settled life - & rat race versus exploring the adventure of living an authentic life.

Last week I got an email from a for me so far stranger. A young Dutch woman. She had a personal question in response to a message that I posted on a Dutch Facebook page with stories and tips about visiting Thailand. Her question inspired me for my this week’s blog.

We are born in a world full of expectations, rules, competition, expertise, power and reputation. Two weeks ago I was in a shopping mall in Chiang Mai, Thailand, to buy a present for my girlfriend. Suddenly I heard all kind of encouraging screams of vengeance. Let's see what’s going on there plopped up in my mind. So I did. Believe it or not... A baby race! The photo in this blog takes you a little bit in the scene. Yelling parents ‘supporting’ and ‘encouraging’ their babies, raised in stabilized carts with small wheels, in most unique ways to be the best and to become the winner. Things can be…

It crossed my mind that this actually already shows the start of our unlearning an authentic life. And in every culture basically it’s the same. You especially have to try to be the best and run your future. And what you achieve you need to show the outside world. You show your possessions, your trophies. Post beautiful pictures and story’s about how happy you are on social media. You act according to the rules and standards set by others in our society. You try to fulfill expectations that other people possibly could have of you.

Many of these rules and standards, otherwise, we created as a kind of illusions only in our heads. Many of us miss the courage to deviate from them and so do not fit into the so-called 'perfect social picture', what that picture even may be. You adapted to them ... step by step not even aware of the shortcomings in living life you possibly offer yourself. And at some stage in life, often because you realize you run out of time, you start asking yourself what was actually the value of my life. What did I made of it. Whether you have lived the life that you really wanted and appreciated YOURSELF. Yes you matched with the picture what others of ‘ideal life’ showed you. You might even honor and held high the family pride. And indeed you can ask if asking yourself these kind of questions, particularly in  Western culture isn’t a luxury status or position. My parents for example were not able and did not even think about asking themselves this kind of questions. They saw everything as their duty and responsibility. It was a different time.

Who am I? What do I really want or desire? What is the purpose of my life being here now? What makes me happy, gives me peace of mind? Isn’t it first my duty to take responsibility for myself, for my own life, instead of contributing others? What would I like to do if money was no object? What choice would I make in this situation if I knew I had only a few more months to live? What does my source of inner silence, stillness, learn me instead of my intuition, my heart and / or the voices in my head?

Have you ever thought about the idea that those voices in your head are not at all your voices? These are the voices that come for example from our system, our parents, ancestors, teachers/masters in our lives, our environment, culture and religion. And yes, generally, all out of the best intentions. Also out of a limited view of truth, as part of a much bigger truth. That kind of voices often help you to set course to directions in life that, afterwards turn out not to be your authentic wanted way.
Looking deeply on your inside, connecting with this inner silence, passion and mission, often offers you other insights. It’s just a matter to have the guts to follow them…

Many relatives and friends do not understand my support of the choices of my children to discover the adventure of life. Actually to have and follow damn little more goals to explore living life. To sometimes stand still, look back, be proud of what you already achieved, learn from mistakes (as something to learn), every time stand up one more time than to fall down, and find out that life cannot go wrong. For me they do not have to be house owners with  heavy mortgage burdens on their shoulders, a bright shining new car in part-payment, a happy relationship to show they are not lonely, status and position in their jobs, and whatever else. Daddy, so I, had it all and showed them all.
Now, ask them yourself if you do not believe,  they meet a father who LIVE life in a different way. And yes, I am thankful and grateful for my past as well. I am not suffering of a kind of homesickness. It gives me a mirror and background so I can compare. Not as a romantic thing but just to observe a different life style, a different approach, a different way to respond to situations that happen in my life, and it makes me so much more happy. A feeling of being free. I dropped the gold from my cap and shoulders, am even more playful and so much more connected with being open to widen my view and truth. A more common and blissful Frans. And it’s that what makes it so appealing for my children and my girlfriend. They do not just only see, even more they feel.

Where do you want to go for? What’s your goal of living. For a white-picket fence – a settled life - & rat race or exploring the adventure of living your authentic life. And just be aware, I am not telling you one choice is better than the other. It’s just a choice. It’s just a matter of taking sometimes the time for yourself to reflect, connect deeply, and make the right choice for yourself. Better to do it now and respond to that inner real calling (even if you think possibly you will hurt other people with it) than to find out later (or too late) you did not even explore other possibilities or even live them. Simply do not get regrets…

Let it be a conscious decision by YOURSELF and not by the voices in your head or your heart, created by others. Free the child in you and listen more to it. Be creative and laugh about all your general excuses your mind automatically create for you. Do you want to dream your life or respond to the inner call out of silence to live your dream?

And what about that crying "looser" baby on track 3 in terms of the picture? It would not surprise me if at the second part of his life he/she laughs the most because it turned out in fact he/she was in the Chiang Mai Shopping mall at Sunday March 26th 2017/2560 already at a very young age the real winner of life. Whatever other people and even parents think of it now…


Frans Captijn


Host / Catalyst / Talenteer at Captijn Insight

Captijn Insight“Catalyst in your process to new sustainable flow in life and work. Whether you are an individual, couple, team or an organization.” 
captijninsight@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment